Project Cornerstone is building a community where all adults support children and teenagers so that they thrive. We work within the YMCA of Silicon Valley and more than 400 schools and community partners to change the personal behavior of adults, strengthen programs that serve youth, and impact public policy.
Through our Community Partnerships, we provide training and consulting on building strength and resiliency in youth to thousands of adults who regularly touch young people’s lives. Our School Partnerships empower young people, parents, and school staff to improve school climate and create vibrant, caring communities of learners. Our in-school programs include:
- The Asset Building Champions (ABC) and Los Dichos parent engagement programs, in which adults learn to create positive connections with their own children and youth in the community, and volunteer at schools reading specially selected books and leading activities that help teach valuable lessons. The Spanish-language Los Dichos program opens new doors for parents from diverse cultures to support their children’s school success as well as the healthy development of all young people in their communities.
- Middle School Clubs engage parents at the middle school level and encourge their continued participation with youth.
- Expect Respect, a bullying prevention program that empowers students to identify bullying on their campuses and design and implement action plans to stop bullying, improve school climate and make every student feel valued and welcome.
- Take It Personally, a powerful six-session workshop to educate and inspire adults to make a stronger commitment to supporting children and teens in all aspects of their lives.
- School staff training and consulting to help teachers, administrators and other school employees recognize opportunities to connect with students and identify and interrupt bullying.